Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dark Side of the Moon



Roger Waters played the Hollywood Bowl over the weekend, and I went with Patry, who has already reviewed the show. But I figured I'd add my two cents in about the show.

First, let me talk a little about the backdrop. As everyone arrived, the screen was a static shot of what appeared to be an old radio from the '50's. About ten minutes before the show, suddenly, a hand appeared in the shot and changed the channel to Elvis' "Hound Dog." The crowd went nuts. It became an interactive part of the show as the hand would come in, grab a drink, place a cigarette in an ashtray, or change the channel. This would add a little extra in the show later on.

Here's the setlist with my thoughts:

In the Flesh - "So ya', thought ya', might like to go to the show." Great opener. It was at the end of the song when we found out that the speakers behind us were the SFX speakers, as the sound of jet planes and bombs dropping scared the crap out of us.

Mother - When Waters sang "Mother should I trust the government," he shook his head no and mouthed something to the affect of "No way." Amusing.

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun - Wow, surprised he pulled out a Syd Barrett-era tune.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I - V) (abridged) - Continuing on the Syd Barrett train, Waters turned this into a tribute to the former lead singer of the band, who died earlier this year. Tons of photos of Syd on the backdrop throughout the song.

Have a Cigar - Sadly, there was an audio issue, so the first line and a half of the song was lost. But it sounded great. What I love about the album track is that as the song crescendos and David Gilmour solos, it goes into that compressed-radio-like sound. Well, amazingly, they somehow re-created that, so the band playing suddenly goes into that radio sound. At the same time, the hand appeared on the backdrop and changed channels on the radio leading into the chatter that begins...

Wish You Were Here - The lighters and cell phones were out here for this one.

Southampton Dock
The Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense, Parts 1 and 2

I'm bunching these three together because I used them for bathroom break #1. Two of the songs are from Floyd's "The Final Cut" and one is from Waters' "Amused to Death," neither which I know very well. I had a number of beers, and, well, I figured I'd better go before Dark Side.

Leaving Beirut - This is Waters' new material that is anti-Bush, anti-war. Cool animation on the backdrop with the lyrics, but a bit too preachy and it doesn't hold up against his other material.

Sheep - This might be the highlight of the night. Patry talks about it in his review a bit - the flying pig and the vocal-becoming-synthesizer/guitar thing. It just kind of kicked ass. No other way to put it

INTERMISSION - Bathroom Break #2 - I really had to pee again, but this time, I was fighting against everyone else. Getting to the bathroom was one of the scariest things I've ever experienced, as I felt like at any point a massive riot/stampede could break out. It was really unsafe. I also had to pee real badly, so that didn't help matters, but eventually, I made it. On a side note, I didn't see anyone using the sink as a urinal. Bonus points for Hollywood Bowl concertgoers.

Speak to Me/Breathe
On the Run
Time
The Great Gig in the Sky
Money
Us and Them
Any Colour You Like
Brain Damage
Eclipse

Okay, I can't stop at any one song - it was all of Darkness, as promised. It was awesome. They recreated the album perfectly - including the woman who belted out "Great Gig." Once again, the speakers behind us came into play a ton, as the ticking clocks, crazy person gibberish, and money dropping burst out suddenly. My only complaint was that it felt like it flew by.

Encore

The Happiest Days of Our Lives
Another Brick in the Wall, Part II - The entire crowd got on their feet for this. Yeah, we've all heard it a million times, but it was damn good.

Vera
Bring the Boys Back Home - This could've ended the show and I would've been pleased as punch. "Bring the Boys" has a bit more power behind it these days. The visual fireworks that went with it were pretty spectacular. It was a more bombastic song live than I could've imagined, and that's a good thing. Oh yeah, Vera was kind of great too.

Comfortably Numb - While I wasn't a huge fan of "Numb" before, I think I've become one now. I've always felt like "Numb" and "Run Like Hell" are a bit overrated, but after seeing it live, "Numb" has grown on me.

After sitting and thinking about this show for a few days, I can't stop thinking about it and listening to Floyd. Waters put on a hell of a show and I hope he comes around again soon.

No comments: