Thursday, November 09, 2006

Thanksgiving Prep


I found out last night that Heather and I are having people over for Thanksgiving. This will be the first time that I'm co-hosting and responsible for a Thanksgiving meal. There's a number of things I'm already planning in my head and need to solve soon:

1. The guests: We've got a few people coming over, but have to figure out a final head count for food prep. I don't know how big we can go because we have a small apartment and not a ton of furniture. CONCLUSION: This requires much thought and discussion.

2. The turkey: I've never cooked a turkey before, but more than willing to learn how to. But Heather brought up a good idea: we'll get a deep fried turkey. We've bought a deep fried turkey at my dad's house at Christmas and Thanksgiving, and they're delicious. Since they're deep fried, they're also incredibly easy - you just have to heat it up. CONCLUSION: This sounds both delicious and convenient.

3. The side dishes: This is where the guests can help out, so I'm not as worried, but, I do make a mean bowl of dirty mashed potatoes. Heather will probably make a broccoli/cheese dish. We'll have to get some sort of rolls, cranberry sauce, and stuffing. But beyond that, I'm a bit stumped. We have to be prepped for all types of appetites and dietary concerns. A salad? A soup? I'm not really sure. CONCLUSION: This is where we'll need some help.

4. Desert: My specialty! Usually, Heather and I spend Thanksgiving with our good friend Christa, and it's my duty to make a marble cheesecake, as well as peanut butter eyeballs. I'll have to add to that list: pumpkin pie, apple pie, and probably some ice cream. CONCLUSION: We'll start baking a couple of days early and maybe even buy some of these already made.

5. Entertainment: We're fine with that - music, movies, football, board games, booze. Actually, we could have a Boggle tournament...or a Yahtzee tournament...or a Cranium-off. CONCLUSION: Let's get ready to BOGGLE!!!

6. Cleaning: Ummm...yeah.

There's a lot of pressure to make this Thanksgiving good - hopefully, with a lot of booze, they won't notice our rookie mistakes.

No comments: