Sunday, February 11, 2007

Temporary Expert

So, I've been a little busy lately with the new gig starting. For this latest gig, I've spent the last week learning about as much as possible about drag racing. A week ago tonight, I knew nothing about drag racing, but now, I'm quickly becoming, as I like to call it, a "temporary expert." I really don't know tons about the history of drag racing, nor do I know a lot about the technical aspects of drag racing, but I've spent hours reading about it, watching tapes of it, and spent a day in Pomona watching it, which was pretty insane. (I stood right near the starting line and when those cars take off, the g-forces that kick back are amazing). By the time I finish the job, I'll be incredibly educated about the finer points of the sport.

For each different gig you do, whatever subject you're doing, you're almost forced to become a "temporary expert." It's not a choice, so much as osmosis. I mean, when you're watching people drag race all day, you can't help but pick up on what's happening. But as soon as you finish a show and move onto the next, you retain only some of that information and downgrade from "temporary expert" to "somewhat knowledgeable."

So, if you're looking to put together a trivia team, besides drag racing, here are the specific topics that I was once a "temporary expert" on, but am now just "somewhat knowledgeable" about:
  • Lifeguarding
  • New York Daily Tabloids
  • Tommy Lee of Motley Crew
  • Home Re-Design
  • Andy Dick
  • Roseanne Barr
  • The Three Stooges
  • Certain Sitcoms of the 1960's and 70's
  • 1950's B-Movies
So, those of you reading who have gone from working show-to-show or job-to-job, what were you once a "temporary expert" of?

5 comments:

PVision said...

• Silicone, Back Stabbing & Fucked Up Families
• Adam Carolla/Shoddy Home Renovation
• Pack Rats & Organizational Products
• College Binge Drinking
• High School Band Geeks
• Summer Camp Drama

...and probably some other crap.

Gwen said...

Well, lifeguards, NY tabloids, and Andy Dick, of course. Also:

UT undergrad life
plastic surgery/extremely screwed-up women

Other than that, I've done every CBS competition show, but all I really learn from those is that Phil Keoghan swears like a sailor and other assorted gossip.

woodsy said...

I am such a blog slacker that I even slack on comments...

My job to job research has taught me incredibly useful information on:
Heroin needles, crack pipes and meth. stained teeth
How D-list actors cause lawsuits
What teenagers do in small towns
Flickering lights = ghosts
How to plan a wedding when you are rich, gay or trying to imitate the Corleone family.
Summer camp drama
AC/DC
Various tidbits on every subject possible that were formerly "secrets"

Now I just learn about learning.

Afsheen said...

* Fake elections
* Home renovations
* What seven people in their early 20s do when they have to live together in a house with what appears to be unlimited amounts of alcohol
* Child athletes
* Real estate agents
* Sex change operations
* Former 90210 stars opening a B&B

Heather said...

what about the following category for you?
Distgusting Things to Eat and Do?