Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Memorial Daze

I couldn't resist the pun and I apologize profusely. It's deep in my blood and I can't help it.

It was quite a busy Memorial Day 2007 weekend. Friday night was a total bust as I was feeling a cold taking over my immune system, and I feared that it might make my weekend miserable. But I slept in on Saturday and took the day easy, just to make sure that I'd be able to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Doped up on cold meds, I went to Blake's for his first ever "Backyard Screening Extravaganza Event of Extraordinary Magnitude." (Copyright 2007). Blake bought a massive projector and a large painter's drop cloth and invited a whole bunch of people over to watch a movie in his backyard. The premiere movie was 1987's "Roxanne," as selected by Annie.

Despite a slight chill in the air, it was fantastic. Everyone bundled up under blankets and sleeping bags. The movie was as cute and funny as I remembered it. We had a little a picnic basket filled with snacks and goodies from Trader Joe's. We sat in the back, but because it was such a huge picture, we could see everything perfectly. It really felt like we were at a drive-in theater. But we were with friends. And it was our own little private screening. Blake took a few pictures:



It was a huge success. But what was even better was when we hooked up Blake's brand new Xbox 360 to the projector and played a few rounds of Guitar Hero 2 on the big screen.

Let me backtrack slightly: I bought Guitar Hero 2 a couple of weeks ago, and I became addicted. (It's a video game that comes with a small, plastic guitar. You use the guitar as the controller and it makes you feel like a Guitar Hero...etc, etc) Then Patry bought it. Then he became addicted. Then Blake played with us on a Saturday night until 3am and became addicted. Then he bought an Xbox 360. Then he bought Guitar Hero 2. It is extremely addictive. Now, back to the story in progress.

Blake attached his 360 to the big screen and we played a few rounds of GH2 in front of our adoring fans. And let me tell you, it was pretty awesome. I felt like, despite my lack of guitar skills, I seen a million faces, and I rocked them all. We also hooked up Jesse's Wii to the projector and played some tennis and bowling. It was pretty much a video game junkie's heaven.

On Sunday, Billy and Susan came up to our place to hang out for the day, and we did a walking tour of Chinatown. A few pix:
This is my favorite, from a store that seemed to be like Chinatown's version of WalMart:We wandered around Chinatown, read about the history, and made a few stops in some random stores, and everyone bought cheap little knick-knacks. Our big stops were at the Phoenix Bakery (which apparently is a famous bakery, and was pretty delicious) and the Empress Pavilion. Empress Pavilion is a restaurant where I ate a dim sum breakfast a few years ago, and was fantastic. So we had a late lunch/snack there, and it lived up to my memory.

After our day in Chinatown, we came back to the apartment to relax and figure out what we were going to do for the rest of the night. We talked about playing some board games, maybe a movie, then, suddenly, out of nowhere, Heather said the sexiest thing she had ever said in the world to me:

"Let's play Guitar Hero."

Wow! Heather was suggesting we play a video game. She and I were apparently meant for each other! We hooked up two "guitars" to my 360 and began a marathon session of GH2 that lasted until 3am. We played as teams: one would take lead guitar, the other would play bass or rhythm guitar. Sometimes, we were good. Sometimes we were not. But really, all that mattered was that we rocked.

And no, Heather didn't pose for this picture. This was really a candid shot:
But Susan and I posed for this one:And because we stayed up so late playing GH2 on Sunday, most of Monday, we all spent hanging around, relaxing, napping, snacking, etc. But let's be honest, after a weekend of rocking so damn hard, it was nice to have a few hours to relax.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Nice set up for the movie. Guitar Hero looks like fun. I should get that. And I should get 360. But then there is that mortgage.... we'll see. Are you pushing out stool in that last picture?