Sunday, September 23, 2007

Random Thoughts On a Sunday Afternoon

There's been a lot going on lately, so here's some random things, Larry King-style:
  • I've gone to Chinatown more in the last six months than I had in the first 8 1/2 years that I've lived in LA. It's actually kind of great. Heather can get cheap clothes that are funky, and I'm amused by all the rip-off toys and bootlegged DVD's. And Heather found a fantastic restaurant, Yang Chow, which reminds me a lot of east coast Chinese food.
  • The Yankees are making me happy. A Giants win over the Redskins today would make me really happy.
  • Last week, we went to the Magic Castle for the first time. If you live in LA and haven't been yet and get an invite, I highly recommend it. We got our invite from Rob, a fellow member of Heather's theater company who was performing with his group, The Unholy Three. We started at the WC Fields Bar to watch The Unholy Three, who put on a great show. You can wander around the castle, an impressive place, and catch little side shows at some of the bars that are scattered throughout. There's also three main stages, where you have to wait for shows, and each is a different size: Close Up Gallery, Parlour of Prestidigitation (medium sized), and the Palace of Mystery (larger). We got to see shows in both the Close-up Gallery and the Parlour, as well as watching some of the magicians putting on some shows around at the bars. There were some amazing tricks and great shows. Highly entertaining. Plus, I did get to meet the drummer of the Pixies, Dave Lovering, who is one of The Unholy Three.
  • We did a 70's themed double DVD feature last night: "Zodiac" and "Inside Deep Throat." "Zodiac" is a great film - highly, highly recommend it. I haven't seen Heather get that freaked out by a movie in a long time. Now, I want to begin my own personal investigation of the Zodiac. "Inside Deep Throat" was fascinating. Not my favorite doc of all time, but very entertaining. It was kind of perfect to watch after "Zodiac" had us wound up.
  • For the last week and a half at work, I've been grilling lunch every day. See, Patry got a new grill for our office and we wanted to try doing a few "meat days" where we'd grill our lunch instead of going out and eating really crappy. It was such a success that I haven't left the office for lunch in over a week (and that was because I had errands to run). Plus, we've had two "Meat-Pocalypse" days, where we grilled for our entire staff. Week one was chicken and carne asada. Week two were beer soaked brats. For week three, I've stepped up and I'm going to try to grill some ribs.
Okay, now, I have to get back to watching football. It's crunch time for the Giants.

No comments: