Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Power Out



Blackouts happen in our neighborhood whenever it A) gets too hot outside and everyone's running tons of air conditioning (which happened in September during our heat wave) or B) whenever it rains steadily and fairly heavily. Of course, for a day-and-a-half, it rained steadily, and I guess the electricity in my neighborhood decided to take a break.

Last night, I hopped in the shower around 8. I was about to lather up when suddenly everything went black. Luckily, after our last blackout, Heather and I prepared for another by setting up candles and flashlights around the apartment. Of course, I had to find them while dripping wet.

Luckily, I left our Menorah out, so I lit the Hanukkah candles. Surprisingly, it was almost brighter than all our other candles combined. Next Hanukkah, I will add a personal prayer when lighting the candles to say "Thanks for keeping my apartment lit during times of blackout."

Heather and I were ready for a night without power. Heather worked in front of the fireplace, I watched a DVD with the remaining power on my laptop, and the cat did whatever it is she does.

The power nearly came back at one point, but it quickly shut itself off again. We could hear the crews working throughout the night. I woke up early this morning, our lights finally on. Based on my blinking alarm clock, I assume that we got power at about 4:45 in the morning.

This was much more tolerable than when we lost power during the Labor Day Weekend heatwave when tried to sleep without AC in 105 degree heat, sweating, hoping and praying, that either the heat would end immediately or that our power would miraculously turn on and stay on for more than 4 hours at a time.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

i'm ashamed of myself... you're only 1/2 jew and you put up a menorah... i'm full, but clearly bad jew, but up about a 2 foot fake silver xmas tree to make my family feel a little festive during their visit.