Friday, January 18, 2008

A New Tourism Slogan For New Jersey

For those who don't know, I'm from New Jersey, and I'm damn proud of it. My fine home state gets mocked mercilessly for not being New York. Too many people give it a bad rap just because it happens to be across the river from the biggest city in the world. It pains me when I hear people who are from New Jersey claim they're from New York or "the New York area." Giants and Jets fans are constantly asked, in mocking fashion, "Why is your team from New York if they play in New Jersey?" Fine, I get it, New York has a lot going on and is an amazing city, but...

...I was watching a commercial for "Cloverfield," which looks kind of kick ass (and I hope it does). As I'm watching Manhattan get destroyed by some unseen and less-than-friendly monster, I realized that the characters in the movie would want to be anywhere BUT New York. And that's where New Jersey holds the edge over New York: angry monsters and hostile aliens in movies will attack Manhattan, but not Jersey.

If you're sitting in suburban New Jersey, and you see some big-ass monster attacking the city on the news, you know you've got some time to pack up and get away...or really, you could just sit there knowing that the evil beast will most likely find a home in Madison Square Garden (see 1998's awful "Godzilla") and continue to demolish the Big Apple.

This is where New Jersey's bureau of tourism needs to step it up and use this to their advantage. I propose a new state slogan...


NEW JERSEY:
When The Monsters Attack, You'll Wish You Lived Here Too!



See what unemployment does to a sane person? It makes them a whole lot less sane.

4 comments:

PVision said...

Go jersey! America's armpit!

Brian said...

F-U, Mass-Hole!!

Buffy said...

Hee hee. . that's better than "New Jersey - We Don't Like Newark Either."

Terri said...

I like it!

Much better than "New Jersey - Hey, at least we're not Delaware..."