Sunday, July 27, 2008

Imaginary Friend

Heather and I were talking tonight, and I revealed to her that I had an imaginary friend when I was little. His name was "Johnice," a combo of my parents' names, John and Janice. Heather stopped, and seemed somewhat frightened when she learned this. "Did you see him? What did he look like?" she prodded for details. I wasn't actually sure, mainly because I was so young. I just kind of remember the idea of the imaginary friend existing and telling my parents about him.

Heather's line of questioning continued, like a grilling: "Where did he come from? Did your parents think you were strange for having this 'friend?' You must've been a lonely child." It was like I had revealed a horrifying secret to her, thinking, "I'm getting married to a guy who had an imaginary friend growing up! How will I ever live this down?!?!"

So my question - anyone else out there have an imaginary friend, or am I the only crazy one out there?

(I would post a picture of my imaginary friend, but he hasn't been around much lately...)

9 comments:

Gwen said...

Afsheen had an imaginary dog, if that counts. His name was Hydra.

Anonymous said...

I'm still working on the basis that "Heather" is imaginary.

Me said...

Oh, I had a very developed imaginary friend circle. They were called Sally and Amy. I must have been little because we used to sort barrettes together. At some point, poor Sally fell out of favor because I no longer liked that name and Amy became my favorite.

I also had a little man that lived in my head and would retrieve things from my thoughts (arranged in filing cabinets), type the information I was looking to retrieve, and send it down to the tip of my tongue. I would then read the tiny piece of paper and have my thought.

Anonymous said...

Wow. This is going to turn out like "The Sixth Sense".

PVision said...

I'm suspicious that everyone but me is imaginary. Like the Matrix in my head.

Jessica said...

I had an imaginary brother -- Miltie -- and an imaginary husband named Ben Mountain who was always unemployed. Don't most kids have imaginary friends when they're little? I think it's just a sign of a good imagination.

Erin said...

Bri, if I can remember the stories from Mom correctly, you would make sure Mom would make Johnice lunch too. Also, Johnice went away once I was born...you told Mom that his Mom had a baby girt too, so he moved away. I don't know if you were happy to have a real friend in the house, or mad that I pushed Johnice away. I've been trying to make it up to you for the last 28 years.

Anonymous said...

One of your uncles, ETM, had an imaginary friend named Buckwheat. We had to make room for him on the bench at lunch for a long time. I can't remember much else about the Buckster.

Terri said...

My sister had an imaginary friend named Sandy. One time, driving up from down the shore, Sandy was bad and had to get out and run next to the car.

Unless you count the voices in my head, I don't think I ever had one.

Oh, and BTW I thought your Dad's name was Jerry?