Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On

My first earthquake, a tiny tremor in 1997, scared the crap out of me. The walls started shaking and waving, and I ran for safety. I sat in a doorway for hours, gripping a flashlight, petrified, convinced that the BIG ONE was coming at any moment.

During today's earthquake, I handled things much better than I did years ago. As I told someone earlier, when an earthquake hits, you don't realize it until its nearly over. Today, as things were shaking, I was a bit confused until my boss turned to me and said, "I think this is an earthquake." She was correct.

Everyone came out of their offices and edit bays to watch the ceiling rattle and the lights sway back and forth. Some people seemed scared, but some just seemed amused by it. I just wanted to know how big it was. When someone yelled out, "5.8!" I was secretly excited to have not been shaken by a quake that big. But when I saw it got downgraded to a 5.4, I ignored it for a few hours, just to feel a bit more brave.

Someone posted this clip of Letterman from years ago. I'm not as lame as these guys:

No comments: